IDW seeks an experienced business and legal affairs executive with strong negotiation skills to lead business affairs across IDW Publishing and IDW Entertainment divisions. The VP, Business and Legal Affairs will work with leadership across business units to structure, analyze, negotiate and draft publishing agreements, writer deals, director agreements, talent agreements, distribution and other agreements.
This is a highly visible role that will work with leadership across business units to develop and build deal structures, templates and forms, provide ongoing senior legal and business affairs counsel during development and production of IP and entertainment, and advise and work closely with colleagues in Publishing, Development, Production, Creative Affairs, Finance, Marketing, Sales and Distribution.
- Minimum 8+ year’s professional experience at a major law firm or media company, including significant transactional work in-house at a studio or large production company.
- Licensed Attorney in the State of California / Juris Doctorate (JD)
- Comprehensive knowledge of entertainment and intellectual property law, as well as a high-level proficiency of legal analysis and reasoning.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally with a range of personalities. and styles across all levels within an organization.
- Collaborative work-ethic, sound and ethical judgment.
- Ability to adapt rapidly in a fast-moving environment with evolving priorities, handle ambiguity, and react gracefully under pressure.
- Working knowledge of guild and union regulations (SAG-AFTRA, WGA, DGA and IATSE.)
- Strong professional relationships with talent representatives and business/legal affairs executives.
- Robust understanding of multi-platform distribution of content and evolving new media business models.
- Advise and counsel a broad range of client groups on a variety of complex business and legal matters, including in the development and implementation of policies, practices and critical initiatives across teams.
- Structure, negotiate, document, and manage deals across publishing and entertainment.
- Partner with heads of division and business development to provide deal negotiation support for licensed partnerships and new content partnerships / business models.
- Work with outside studios to craft entertainment partnerships that position company to access studio economics.
- Manage various aspects of the rights to the IDW catalog, and any other catalog acquisitions.
- Advise senior-level executives and other teams under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk through strategic thinking and firm decision making.
- Review budgets and other financial data associated with the development and production of IP and entertainment.
- Partner with business executives to discuss and implement best practices and formulate new processes and forms in connection with business needs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agencies, law firms, studios, production companies and other relevant industry contacts.
- Inspire, lead and develop team members as well as influence colleagues across the business.
- The role is based in Los Angeles, CA.
- To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “VP, Business and Legal Affairs” in the subject line.