IDW Publishing seeks an experienced Managing Editor to support the Editor-In-Chief in overseeing the scheduling and communications between the Editorial team and the Design & Production team.
- BA in Journalism, English, Writing, Art, Design, or related field.
- Demonstrated level of literacy and competency.
- Experience managing style and method of standards for creative products.
- 5-7 years of experience working in Managing Editorial
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to multi-task.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for the comic-book industry.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines.
- Personnel management skills and ability to manage an editorial staff.
- Ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel to achieve publishing goals.
- Experience with print publishing.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities.
- A willingness to embrace change and adapt to strategies on the fly.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Strong Mac skills, including Word, Excel, Keynote/PowerPoint, and Photoshop Elements.
- Plan and manage daily editorial schedule operations, facilitating communication and coordination.
- Consistently accurate production schedule status
- Ensure submission of vouchers before book goes to print
- Ensure on-time submission of Project Control Sheets from the Editorial Department
- Manage the monthly comic book Production Schedule.
- Conduct meetings to update the status of ongoing projects, moving projects to completion.
- Communicate with Editorial, Production, and Marketing teams as to daily needs.
- Communicate with designers and editors to locate missing deliverables (art, scripts, cover design, back matter, etc.).
- Monitor progress with Editorial & Design on an ongoing basis, and help to prioritize schedules.
- Develop realistic, long-term schedules for projects
- Coordinate talent availability and scheduling.
- Help to maintain a database of creative talent with Editorial.
- Determine the talent’s rate of delivery.
- Manage Editorial aspects of solicitations and covers, coordinating with Marketing and Sales to ensure assets are available on time.
- Attend and organize meetings as needed to keep Editorial abreast of upcoming projects.
- The role is Los Angeles-based with occasional travel to the San Diego location required
- To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Editor” in the subject line.