IDW Publishing seeks an experienced Editor to plan, coordinate, and edit content for the publication of several comic book series. The ideal candidate will interact with many departments within the company, creators, licensors, and the creative team to produce the publication on time and with accuracy. Therefore, solid communication (both written and verbal), multitasking, and organizational skills are critical to success.
- BA in Journalism, English, Writing, Art, Design, or related field.
- Demonstrated level of literacy and competency.
- Experience managing style and method of standards for creative products.
- 4-5 years of experience working in an Editorial department.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of and interest in the comic-book industry.
- Ability to maintain strict monthly schedules on comic-book titles.
- Strong problem-solving capabilities.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Superior line- and copy-editing skills.
- Strong Mac skills, including Word, Excel, Keynote/PowerPoint; Photoshop a plus.
- Manage 6-8 comic-book titles per month, including but not limited to:
- Developing story ideas and proposals with writers, hiring a creative team, and working with the team to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
- Ensuring licensor or creator approval at all stages, including proposal, script, cover art, solicitation copy, b&w art, color art, and final lettered PDFs.
- Manage all other tasks associated with producing titles that meet creators’ and licensors’ approval and prepare titles for printing.
- Develop new titles and new talent.
- Work directly with licensors to develop and manage titles and approvals.
- Attend regular production and Editorial meetings and maintain constant status updates for all your projects for the Editor-In-Chief and Managing Editor.
- Convention attendance as required by Publisher or Editor-In-Chief, which may include traveling.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with licensors, creators, retailers, press, and co-workers.
- Brainstorm with the Editorial group on new directions or creators for existing licensed books, new creator-owned titles, and potential new licenses to pursue.
- Assist the Marketing department with the development of press releases and marketing materials.
- Play a role on the Editorial Review Committee, vetting creative proposals and available properties.
- Prepare monthly comic-book solicitations and cover images for your titles.
- Other duties as needed.
- This position can be based out of the San Diego, CA or Los Angeles, CA offices.
- To apply please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Editor Applicant” in the subject line.