IDW Publishing & Comickaze Comics, Books and More, Combine Forces To Host Benefit for Artist Joe Phillips
Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2014
San Diego, CA (January 15, 2013) - San Diego based artist and all-around great guy, Joe Phillips (Silver Surfer, Wonder Women, Star Trek) received the shocking and very unfortunate news last November that due to complications from undiagnosed diabetes he would have to undergo surgery to amputate his right foot.
Many freelance artists struggle with the high costs of health insurance and sadly Phillips is no different. Therefore, IDW Publishing and Comickaze Comics, Books and More are joining forces to raise funds to help Phillips with the financial burden resulting from this unexpected and tragic event. We invite you to join Joe's friends, family, and fans for an evening of art, local craft beer, and loving support.
Attendees will have an opportunity to get sketches and signatures from local artists, including Joe, and mingle with IDW staff, including Ted Adams, CEO & Publisher, who will be available for portfolio reviews and conversation about the comic business.
Date: Saturday, January 25
Place: Modern Times' Lomaland Fermentorium (http://moderntimesbeer.com/tasting-room)
Time: 5PM - 9PM
Food: Stuffed! Food Truck (for purchase) http://stuffedsd.com/menu/
Our goal is to raise a total of $15,000 (or more) and there will be many different options available so attendees can contribute to this very worthy cause and get some truly unique items in return. 100% of all proceeds will go to Joe Phillips and IDW Publishing will match total donations up to $5,000.
Raffle ($5.00 each)
- Enter for a chance to win one (1) of five (5) copies of Star Trek: Where No Man Has Gone Before - Red Label from IDW Limited. $125 retail value, limited to 175 hand-numbered copies, mounted signature page signed by Mike Johnson, Joe Phillips & Tim Bradstreet, with a set of EIGHT exclusive lithographs in a hardcover portfolio (http://idwlimited.com/series/startrek/star-trek-where-no-man-has-gone-before-red-label.html)
- Enter for a chance to win the GRAND PRIZE (1) copy of Star Trek: Where No Man Has Gone Before - Black Label from IDW Limited. $300 retail value, limited to 50 hand-numbered copies, features original artwork from Joe Phillips secured in a hardcover portfolio, mounted signature page signed by Mike Johnson, Joe Phillips & Tim Bradstreet, with a set of EIGHT exclusive lithographs. (http://idwlimited.com/star-trek-where-no-man-has-gone-before-black-label.html)
Comic Sketches ($10.00 - $55.00)
- Your choice of sketch cards or IDW blank cover comics (minimum 1, maximum 11). These will be the only items eligible to receive sketches/signatures at this event.
- If pre-ordered at www.comickaze.com you will receive one (1) extra card for free. Pre-order sketch cards available for pick up at the event with a copy of your PayPal receipt. Limit one (1) free sketch card per person.
- Artists scheduled to appear: Carlos D'Anda, Jeromy Cox, Lance Hutto, Batton Lash, Gabe Eltaeb, Alex Sinclair (Alex has also donated a limited edition print to raffle at the event) and more to come!
- $10.00: For every $10 donated, receive one (1) IDW graphic novel.
- $25.00: For every $25 donated, receive three (3) IDW graphic novels.
- $100.00: Get Your Book Lettered by Robbie Robbins (Locke & Key). Maximum 3, up to 32 pages each.
- Bidding will start at $50.00 for a chance to have a tour of IDW Publishing headquarters guided by Ted Adams, which will culminate in a trip to the IDW warehouse where he'll give you the chance to stock up your IDW library.
For those of you who cannot make this event and would still like to contribute, there is a "Donate" button at www.comickaze.com.
About Comickaze Comics, Books and More
Comickaze is San Diego's multi award winning retailer of comics, books and pop culture items. Widely recognized for offering one of the largest and most diverse selections of comics and graphic novels in the state, Comickaze is celebrating its 21st year of serving San Diego readers in it's Clairemont location.