IDW is happy to now be accepting internship applications for Fall 2016!
IDW Publishing offers internships to students throughout the year in several of our departments. We accept applications throughout the year but these are our key dates:
|FALL||August 1st||September – December|
|SPRING||December 1st||January – May|
|SUMMER||April 15th||Mid-June – Mid-August*|
|Dates are subject to change. Apply early!|
|Start and end dates for the Spring and Fall terms are flexible and we’re happy to accommodate your schedule.|
|* Due to the shorter term there is limited flexibility with the Summer Program dates, the term can start no later than mid-June and interns must be able to stay through to mid-August.|
All applicants must understand and comply with the following:
- All internships at IDW are unpaid.
- The candidate must be currently enrolled at an accredited institution and be able to show that they will receive academic credit or recognition for the internship. A letter from your advisor stating that you will get credit for the program is sufficient.
- All internships take place at the new IDW offices at Liberty Station in San Diego, CA; and at the San Diego Convention Center in downtown San Diego (SUMMER only); telecommuters will not be considered.
- No travel or housing expenses will be covered by IDW.
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Applicants under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian’s consent to participate in the program.
- Applicants must have the right to live and work in the United States. IDW is unable to sponsor international students.
If you have questions about the internship program feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Departments Currently Accepting Internships
As an Editorial intern you’ll be right in middle of the editorial bullpen, learning first hand what it takes to get a comic book from idea to print while working on some of the biggest entertainment brands in the world!
Editorial interns are expected to be available a minimum of 8 hours per week for FALL and SPRING programs; SUMMER interns are expected to be available in the offices for a minimum of 16 hours a week and to have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
As an intern with the Marketing team, you’ll learn about and assist with — uploading previews for media; compiling and categorizing press hits; routing (and possibly responding to) media inquires; advance copy mailings; scheduling and posting to social media; developing content for the website; updating weekly retailer covers; adding new contacts to our media list; and distributing image assets and/or solicit copy to media outlets.
Marketing interns are expected to be available a minimum of 8 hours per week; SUMMER interns are expected to also have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
As an intern with the Digital team you will have have the opportunity to participate in a broad range of projects: from online marketing and sales to digital publishing. There is really no limit to what this diverse team does! You’ll also work closely with the Marketing and Editorial departments to help bring their projects to new mediums and audiences.
Digital interns are expected to be available a minimum of 8 hours per week; SUMMER interns are expected to also have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
As an intern with the Entertainment team you will have have the opportunity to learn more about the TV and film development process and how a comic book makes it to screen! You will also work closely with IDW Digital department and learn how to coordinate projects the require the support of different internal teams.
Entertainment interns are expected to be available a minimum of 8 hours per week; SUMMER interns are expected to also have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
Finance & Accounting
An internship with our Finance department will expose you to basic accounting practices in the publishing and entertainment industries. Here you’ll learn about processing payments, reconciling accounts, developing and tracking P&L’s, print runs, sales analysis, and more!
If you wish to apply for an internship, please send a an email with the following information to email@example.com:
- First and Last name
- Reason you want to intern at IDW
- Department you are applying to
IDW Publishing an award-winning comic book publisher based at Liberty Station in San Diego. We work with some of the biggest entertainment brands in the world in one of the most beautiful cities around!
Editor, IDW Publishing
IDW Publishing is seeking an experienced Editor to support the Chief Creative Officer. This is a full-time position located in our San Diego, CA offices.
Essential job responsibilities include:
- – Manage 6-8 comic-book titles per month. This includes management of all aspects of your titles’ development, including but not limited to:
- – Developing story ideas and proposals with writers, hire creative team and work with team to ensure deadlines are consistently met.
- – Ensuring licensor or creator approval at all stages, including proposal, script, cover art, solicitation copy, b&w art, color art, and final lettered PDFs.
- – Manage all other tasks associated with producing titles that meet the approval of creators and licensors and preparing titles for printing.
- – Attend daily production meetings, weekly Editorial meetings and maintain constant status updates of all your projects for the Chief Creative Officer.
- – Develop and maintain positive working relationships with licensors, creators, retailers, press, and co-workers.
- – Brainstorm with the Editorial group on new directions or creators for existing licensed books, new creator-owned titles, and potential new licenses to pursue.
- – Assist marketing dept. with development of press releases and marketing materials.
- – Maintain relationship with Diamond Distribution.
- – Prepare monthly comic-book solicitations and cover images for your titles.
- – Prepare quarterly book solicitations for your titles.
- – 4-5 years of experience working in an Editorial department.
- – Bachelor’s degree or comparable experience.
- – Eligible to work in IDW Publishing’s San Diego offices; no telecommuting option is available for this position.
- – Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills.
- – Strong knowledge of and interest in the comic-book industry.
- – Maintain strict monthly schedules on comic-book titles, including anticipating challenges and finding timely, relevant solutions.
- – Must be extremely detail-oriented, able to both line-edit and copy-edit.
- – Strong Mac skills, including Word, Excel, Keynote/PowerPoint, and Photoshop Elements.
If interested, qualified candidates should send resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin contacting qualified applicants in late June.