IDW Publishing an award-winning comic book publisher based at Liberty Station in San Diego. We work with some of the biggest entertainment brands in the world in one of the most beautiful cities around!
This position is focused on project-based marketing in collaboration with other Marketing and Sales team members. Solid written and verbal communication with all levels of internal staff and media contacts is required. The ideal candidate should have strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all members of the organization.
- Spearhead “project-based” marketing, working with Editorial, Production and other Departments to help realize Marketing Plans
- Develop and maintain franchise bibles including working with editorial on key messaging and attainment of necessary art assets to execute on direct, trade, and consumer marketing initiatives
- Maintain relationships with:
- Manage all ads and ad swaps that appear in books and on media outlets
- Collaborate with digital design team to ensure digital ads are created in alignment with the brand strategy
- Manage the development of marketing and sales materials including promotional catalogues, readers guides, pre-order forms, video content, and social media assets
- Media and market research and outreach
- Manage and maintain the distribution of preview and review material for all titles
- Advance mailings
- Coordinate conventions in all areas of planning, set up, and management of the booth and related activity such as panels, product development for exclusive sales, etc.
- Manage creator signing schedules and on hand operations for trade shows
- Manage and operate the online presence of IDW’s social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, tumblr) by generating content, spearheading new initiatives, balancing the needs of the many departments while researching trends and engaging with fans
- Comic, entertainment or Pop Culture experience is preferred
Experience: College degree and 5 years experience in the field of marketing or sales.
Qualified candidates should send resumes and cover letters to “IDW Marketing Manager” at email@example.com.
Public Relations Manager
This position is expected to maintain current media relationships and increase presence in mainstream media, comics media, social media, etc., for the company. Solid written and verbal communication with all levels of internal staff and media contacts is required. The ideal candidate should have strong communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all members of the organization.
- Lead strategy on publicity outreach and execution for comics and graphic novels, securing print and digital interviews, podcast appearances, signings, live streams, Reddit AMAs, and TV coverage for IDW’s marketing initiatives
- Coordinate on-site interview coverage for creators and IDW staff during conventions, ensuring the outlet receives all the assets and talking points required, and that the talent arrives on schedule for their appearance
- Write extensive marketing copy for press releases, e-newsletters, pitch letters, blogs, and more
- Pitch promotional trailers and broker exclusive reveals for them on highly trafficked outlets
- Foster and maintain strong relationships with local, national, and international news outlets
- Act as company spokesperson for live television/radio coverage during conventions and comic art gallery events
- Work closely with editorial and creative teams to brainstorm promotional opportunities and identify press hooks for long running series as well as new launches
- Communicate with IDW partners* and licensors to ensure IDW’s promotional efforts work in tandem with theirs, keeping them informed on IDW’s publicity plans while being sensitive to their needs, and work together to cross-promote and generate maximum awareness among the target fan base and consumers at large
- Comic, entertainment or Pop Culture experience is preferred
* This includes IDW imprints Top Shelf, Black Crown, Yoe Books, Library of American Comics, Euro Comics, IDW:PDX/Wood Works, and It’s Alive!
Experience: College degree and 3-5 years experience in the field of public relations and/or marketing.
Qualified candidates should send resumes and cover letters to “IDW Public Relations Manager” at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IDW Publishing offers internships to students throughout the year in several of our departments. We accept applications throughout the year but these are our key dates:
|FALL||August 1st||September – December|
|SPRING||December 1st||January – May|
|SUMMER||April 15th||Mid-June – Mid-August*|
Dates are subject to change. Apply early!
Start and end dates for the Spring and Fall terms are flexible and we’re happy to accommodate your schedule.
* Due to the shorter term there is limited flexibility with the Summer Program dates, the term can start no later than mid-June and interns must be able to stay through to mid-August.
All applicants must understand and comply with the following:
- All internships at IDW are unpaid.
- The candidate must be currently enrolled at an accredited institution and be able to show that they will receive academic credit or recognition for the internship. A letter from your advisor stating that you will get credit for the program is sufficient.
- All internships take place at the new IDW offices at Liberty Station in San Diego, CA; and at the San Diego Convention Center in downtown San Diego (SUMMER only); telecommuters will not be considered.
- No travel or housing expenses will be covered by IDW.
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
- Applicants under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian’s consent to participate in the program.
- Applicants must have the right to live and work in the United States. IDW is unable to sponsor international students.
If you have questions about the internship program feel free to contact us at email@example.com. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Departments Currently Accepting Internships
As an Editorial intern you’ll be right in middle of the editorial bullpen, learning first hand what it takes to get a comic book from idea to print while working on some of the biggest entertainment brands in the world!
Editorial interns are expected to be available a minimum of 16 hours per week for FALL and SPRING programs; SUMMER interns are expected to be available in the offices for a minimum of 16 hours a week and to have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
As an intern with the Marketing team, you’ll learn about and assist with — uploading previews for media; compiling and categorizing press hits; routing (and possibly responding to) media inquires; advance copy mailings; scheduling and posting to social media; developing content for the website; updating weekly retailer covers; adding new contacts to our media list; and distributing image assets and/or solicit copy to media outlets.
Marketing interns are expected to be available a minimum of 16 hours per week; SUMMER interns are expected to also have significant availability during San Diego Comic-Con.
If you wish to apply for an internship, please send a an email with the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- First and Last name
- Reason you want to intern at IDW
- Department you are applying to